Bitter Tulsa Mayor’s Race Finally Over
That’s a picture of my desk after last night’s election coverage. A mess. Sort of like the past 10 months. It’s been a long campaign and one of the most bitterly fought and negative mayor’s race in Tulsa’s history. Certainly the most expensive. Incumbent Dewey Bartlett spent nearly a million dollars. His opponent clearly topped that. Former mayor Kathy Taylor spent $3.3 million.
Most everyone thought it would be closer than it was. It wasn’t. Bartlett won by 10 points. Taylor gave her concession speech shortly after 8 pm. Election night drama? Not last night.
Now that Bartlett is in for another four years, what now? What do Tulsa residents want him to do? We asked that question on Tulsa’s Channel 8 Facebook page, and while many of the responses can’t be repeated here, many others offer some good suggestions. Here are a few:
- Ryan: “push for the river to have something like bricktown and bring tulsa a amusement park”
- Candy: “Figure out the trash issue!!”
- Diana: “remember that people live on north side of Tulsa we would like our parks fixed for our kids so we don’t have to drive all the way across town for our kids to play, or fix the roads that have big enough holes in them to lose a toddler in.”
- Renee: “Really Fight Crime in Tulsa. That place is a war zone.”
- Mike: “Fix our roads and get rid of the traffic cops”
- Cheryl: “Crime needs to stop.”
- Suzy: “Transform the river like other cities our size have.”
- Melissa: “Please take good care of our policeman and firemen! They take care of our city each and every day! They deserve respect!”
- Suzy: “Widen south Tulsa streets…after all the 74137 zip code pays more in property taxes than any other part of the city, yet has the worst, two lane, non curbed roads in the city!”
Crime, roads, trash and water. Better get to work Mayor Bartlett. You have a busy four years ahead of you.
In case you missed the first hour of our election coverage Monday night, here it is … in 18 seconds. I just wished the political campaign season would go that fast!