Is The Compensation Enough For Passengers On The “Cruise From Hell”?
By now you’ve heard and read about the ordeal that thousands of Carnival Triumph passengers endured for several days. All the passengers are off the ill-fated ship now, but their vacation memories will last a lifetime.
I’ve taken my family on many cruises, and several on Carnival. I think it’s one of the best ways to relax and sample other countries and cultures. But the closest I’ve ever come to a “cruise from hell” is getting stuck in a crowded elevator for a few minutes (we were rescued by a passenger who happened to be a firefighter at home), and having our dinner plates crash to the floor when the ship took evasive measures to miss a pod of whales (no one was hurt, including any whales, but dinner tasted like carpet).
Obviously, those on board the Triumph suffered a little more. We’ve been talking with locals who were on that ship, and it wasn’t a pretty sight (or smell). One woman told us “it pretty much smelled like fermenting poo and yuck everywhere.” That pretty well sums it up when the toilets are down and you have to do your business in a bag.
Carnival is offering passengers a refund, another cruise and $500. Is that enough? It’s a question I posed to my Facebook friends. Here are a few of the many responses:
- “Can you put a price on disaster? At least they were forthcoming in the offer. I wasn’t there so how can I say? Seems a little shy of fair.” Dan
- “Personally I wouldn’t be able to go on another cruise. I wonder if any of the passengers will have to have some therapy after enduring horrors like that?” Kirsten
- “I think it’s more than fair. I’m sorry that happened to those people but it’s not like they meant for it to happen…at least it didn’t sink.” Amanda
- “Not really, but I would probably take the free cruise.” Cheryl
- “I think it’s fair, when you get on a cruise ship, you know the risks.” Dustin
- “Don’t worry they have already filed a lawsuit and I bet they get a lot of money for it.” Clara
- “I’d like to know if they had mechanical issues leading up to this last week.” Michelle
- “Important to remember there are folks all over the world, including our own backyards, without food and in some places no indoor plumbing and clean water.” Martha
- “I would certainly demand a refund and never set foot on one of their ships again.” Mark
Thanks for your opinions. I don’t know. I really don’t know. If I was on that ship, would I ever set foot on a cruise ship again? I don’t know. I wasn’t on board, so my wife and I (and maybe the boys) will probably take one of our favorite vacations again soon. But you can bet, I’ll never forget what those passengers went through. And I wasn’t even there.