Cat Hiccups? Outrageous and Bizarre Excuses To Be Late For Work
Do you ever wake up in the morning and think, “It’s too early to go into work. I’m tired. I’ll just go in a little later”? According to a new survey, one in six Americans this week will be telling their boss why they were late for work. And one of the more innovative/bizarre excuses is “My cat had the hiccups.” Really.
Once again, CareerBuilder is out with its annual “Most Outrageous Excuses for Coming in Late” survey. None of the old excuses … “the dog ate my homework”, “the bus was late”, “my alarm clock didn’t work” … are found here. CareerBuilder polled 10 thousand workers and bosses and found some very interesting reasons for being late:
- My cat had the hiccups.
- I thought I won the lottery (she didn’t).
- I got distracted watching “The Today Show.”
- My roommate got mad at me and cut the cord to my phone charger, so it didn’t charge and my alarm didn’t go off.
- Y0u mean my commute time doesn’t count toward my work hours?
- A fox stole my car keys.
- My leg got trapped between the subway car and the platform (this one turned out to be true).
- Sorry I’m late, I had a job interview with another firm.
16 percent of workers reported they arrive late to work once a week or more. 27 percent show up late to work at least once a month. Here are the top causes for tardiness, according to workers:
- Traffic — 31 percent
- Lack of sleep — 18%
- Bad weather — 11%
- Getting kids to school or daycare — 8%
Cats can actually hiccup. Here’s one I found on YouTube that supposedly hiccups AND farts at the same time. Now, that would make anyone late for work.