Stop! There’s a Garage Sale
This is the time of year when neighborhoods are packed with cars and crawling with people. It’s garage sale season. If you’re thinking of hosting your own sale, there are ways to make sure it’s a success.
Tips to make money and not waste time
No doubt, there are going to be a lot of neighborhood and individual garage sales this weekend… and weekends to come. Garage sales can be profitable if done right, or a waste of time if done wrong. Bankrate.com has these tips for a successful event:
- Pick the right day or days of the week, which are usually Fridays and Saturdays. But other areas of the country it’s Thursday. A lot of people get paid on the 1st and 15th of the month and may have more money in their pockets on those days, according to Bankrate.
- Advertise, advertise, advertise. In places like the newspaper and Craigslist. And of course don’t skimp on neighborhood signs.
- Put items on tables to keep them at eye level, and if you have a big ticket item, put it out closer to the street.
- Always have enough money to make proper change, and that includes lots of dollar bills on hand.
- And price items to sell. One recommendation is to price items in sections… a one dollar, five dollar and ten dollar section for example.
Just realize, going into it, you’re not doing this to make a ton of money. The main goal of a garage sale is to get rid of stuff.