Save Money On Your Energy Bills
It’s cold, and winter isn’t even officially here yet. The cold weather always puts a strain on our energy bills. In the spirit of the holiday season, SolarCity came up with a list of “12 Days of Energy Efficiency” to help you save money. Here are a few of them:
- Take control of your thermostat. Turning down the heat to 68 degrees in the winter can save 5% to 10% on heating bills, and more by turning it lower when you’re asleep or away from home.
- Clean or replace air filters. Dirty filters not only affect indoor air quality, they can reduce airflow, costing more during the winter months when heating is crucial.
- Make sure your windows and doors have good weather-stripping. It’s a simple way to reduce energy consumption.
- Putting an insulation jacket or blanket around water heaters can prevent a significant amount of heat loss.
- Unplug your electrical appliances during your winter vacation. Even though they might not be running, they’re still consuming energy.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed when the fireplace is not in use will prevent heat loss and save money. Just remember to open it back up on Christmas Eve for Santa.