Many of you are searching for information about Richard Roberts, and his arrest today. The piece I wrote about my interview with the televangelist last year is getting quite a few hit on my website today. Here’s the link to that, which includes the video.
Roberts is the son of late evangelist Oral Roberts, the founder of Oral Roberts University. In short, Richard Roberts was arrested in Tulsa early Tuesday morning, accused of driving under the influence and speeding. The 63-year-old was stopped by Oklahoma Highway Patrol just after midnight for speeding. He was allegedly doing 93 in a 65 mph zone. Troopers say a breath test found his blood alcohol level above the legal limit. Roberts posted bond a few hours after his arrest.
Richard Roberts resigned from Oral Roberts University after serving as president for years. That came after a financial scandal in 2007 when he was accused of abusing funds from the university and living a lavish lifestyle. He has denied that and maintained his innocence. Here’s a portion of my conversation with him last year as we talked about 2007 for him:
- Me: How would you describe that year for you?
- Roberts: Well Mark, it was like living hell. What I’ve often told people is the most difficult thing in life is to keep your mouth closed when you’re innocent, when you have not done what you’ve been accused of. The hardest thing is to keep your mouth closed and not fight back.
- Me: That was a rough year for ORU.
- Roberts: Sure.
- Me: Do you take any responsibility for what happened?
- Roberts: Anybody can make mistakes. But not mistakes of the heart. I prayed and God spoke to me and said keep your mouth shut. Don’t answer your critics.
- Me: To this day?.
- Roberts: To this day.
ORU released this statement Tuesday on Facebook:
Our prayers go out to Richard and Lindsay Roberts and their entire family as they face this life challenge. May God’s grace help them as they work towards healing.
Richard Roberts arrest comes on what would have been his father’s 94th birthday.