Do you ever wake up in the morning and think, “It’s too early to go into work. I’m tired. I’ll just go in a little later”? According to a new survey, one in six Americans this week will be telling their boss why they were late for work. And one of the more innovative/bizarre excuses is “My cat had the hiccups.” Really.
Once again, CareerBuilder is out with its annual “Most Outrageous Excuses for Coming in Late” survey. None of the old excuses … “the dog ate my homework”, “the bus was late”, “my alarm clock didn’t work” … are found here. CareerBuilder polled 10 thousand workers and bosses and found some very interesting reasons for being late:
- My cat had the hiccups.
- I thought I won the lottery (she didn’t).
- I got distracted watching “The Today Show.”
- My roommate got mad at me and cut the cord to my phone charger, so it didn’t charge and my alarm didn’t go off.
- Y0u mean my commute time doesn’t count toward my work hours?
- A fox stole my car keys.
- My leg got trapped between the subway car and the platform (this one turned out to be true).
- Sorry I’m late, I had a job interview with another firm.
16 percent of workers reported they arrive late to work once a week or more. 27 percent show up late to work at least once a month. Here are the top causes for tardiness, according to workers:
- Traffic — 31 percent
- Lack of sleep — 18%
- Bad weather — 11%
- Getting kids to school or daycare — 8%
Cats can actually hiccup. Here’s one I found on YouTube that supposedly hiccups AND farts at the same time. Now, that would make anyone late for work.