The deer gun season opened last weekend in Oklahoma. It’s one of the biggest days of the year for hunters. But maybe not as big a day as this Friday is for another kind of “hunter”… the Black Friday shopper.
I’m always fascinated why some people torture themselves. Why would you subject yourself to unnecessary pain and suffering? For many Americans, the day after Thanksgiving is more than just watching football and eating left-overs. And it’s more than just a big day of shopping… it’s a battle. There’s a strategy to picking up those huge deals (if you can land them) that stores use to lure us in.
Amy Cole is a veteran of Black Friday shopping. She doesn’t look at it as torture. To her, shopping is like hunting. She was laughing when she told me, “Men go hunting and get that biggest buck. I go shopping and get the biggest buy.” And she saves a few bucks in the process. Her “hunt” always has a game plan, which includes:
- Don’t go alone. She has a group of 15. “It’s all getting that buy,”Amy says. “We all want to work together. And the more you have working as a group, you’re going to get what you want.”
- Know your deals, by pouring over the newspaper or online ads.
- Plot out your course of action, and send out your army of shoppers to the stores.
- Dress in layers. It may be cold outside, but it can get steamy inside with the crowds.
- Amy’s tip to avoid the “biggest” mistake shoppers can make? Once the doors open, have someone get in line right away. “Not having someone stand in line, the wait in line to check out, is the longest wait. And that’s when you lose time in going to the other stores.”
I’ll add a couple more tips I’ve read (not from experience):
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Skip the shopping cart, if possible.
- Don’t drink too much coffee or you’ll be in the bathroom while everyone else in shopping.
Do all these things, and you have a better chance of landing that Black Friday bargain. I asked Amy if she always gets what she wants. “I do. I always have. I’ve never not gotten what I wanted.” I bet those other hunters can’t say that.
- Black Friday strategy: Shop, or sleep (msnbc.msn.com)
- 67% Plan Black Friday Stops Ahead of Time, According to Persuadable Research Corporation (prweb.com)
- Black Friday 101: Ways to save when holiday shopping (cnn.com)
- Black Friday deals to draw 138 million shoppers (money.cnn.com)